- This event has passed.
Annual Dinner and CLE – December 14, 2022
December 14, 2022
The Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Washington is pleased to announce that it will hold its Annual Dinner and CLE
December 14, 2022
With Remarks by Special Guest, Professor Jeffrey L. Fisher
The Dinner will be held in-person at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel, 411 University Street, in Seattle, beginning at 5:30 p.m. The Dinner will be preceded by a reception.
Jeffrey L. Fisher is a Professor of Law and Co-Director of the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic at Stanford Law School. He is a leading authority on Supreme Court practice, and a nationally recognized expert on criminal procedure. His work revolves around handling cases in the U.S. Supreme Court. He has argued over forty cases in the Supreme Court, on issues ranging from criminal procedure and maritime law to civil and human rights. Professor Fisher will discuss what COVID lockdowns taught us about oral argument, and what lessons we can bring back into the courtroom.
The CLE will be held in-person in the 19th-floor conference room at the U.S. Federal Courthouse, 700 Stewart Street, in Seattle from 1-5 p.m. Online streaming of the CLE will be available.
See below for topics and confirmed panelists.
The Dinner will be held in-person at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel,
411 University Street, in Seattle, beginning at 5:30 p.m.
The Dinner will be preceded by a reception.
Topic 1: A Conversation about Federal Criminal Justice with U.S. Attorney Nicholas Brown and Federal Public Defender Colin Fieman, moderated by Professor Mary Fan
- Nicholas Brown, United States Attorney, Western District of Washington
- Colin Fieman, Federal Public Defender, Western District of Washington
- Moderator: Professor Mary Fan, Jack R. MacDonald Endowed Chair, University of Washington School of Law
Topic 2: Threats to Legitimacy of the Courts, moderated by Shayne C. Stevenson
- Professor Andrew Siegel, Vice Dean for Academic Affairs and William C. Oltman Professor of Teaching Excellence, Seattle University School of Law
- Elizabeth Porter, Co-Director, Appellate Advocacy Clinic and Professor of Law, University of Washington School of Law
- Judge Eric D. Miller, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Abha Khanna, Partner, Elias Law Group LLP
- Moderator: Shayne C. Stevenson, Partner, Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP
Topic 3: A Discussion with Recently Appointed Federal District Court Judges in the Western District of Washington, moderated by Senior District Judge Ricardo S. Martinez
- Chief Judge David G. Estudillo
- U.S. District Judge Tana Lin
- U.S. District Judge Lauren King
- U.S. District Judge John H. Chun
- U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Kate Vaughan
- Moderator: Senior U.S. District Judge Ricardo S. Martinez
3.5 hours of WSBA CLE Credits have been requested (including 1 Ethics Credit for Panel 1). In-person attendees for the CLE and Dinner will be required to certify that they are fully vaccinated and boosted.
Additional details regarding the CLE and Dinner will be circulated via email.
Questions? Please contact FBA-WDWA VP Molly Terwilliger at firstname.lastname@example.org
To post information regarding an upcoming event on the FBA-WDWA website, please contact the Website/Communications Committee.